In Oracle 12c , there are lot of new great RMAN features focused on reducing recovery time; Some of them to provide better DBA :) experience too .Let us glance at some of them in this blog.
- Support for point in time recovery for tables and partitions. I would rate this as one of best options of Oracle 12c.
- Option to duplicate database with NOOPEN option so that duplicated/cloned database remains in mount state. Prior to 12c, the cloned database is automatically opened in RESETLOGS mode. The NOOPEN option is very useful when you want to clone a database as part of upgrade.
- In Oracle 12c , duplicate database supports pull based restore from backup sets; Prior to Oracle 12c , the support was only for push based restore from image copies.
- Support for recovering the database from snapshots taken using 3rd party vendors like EMC,Hitachi etc. The recover command now supports SNAPSHOT TIME clause to implement this feature.
- Transporting database across platforms using backupsets. Prior to 12c, only image copies was supported.
- Transporting database across platforms using inconsistent backups i.e.. backups taken without putting the database in READONLY mode. New clause ALLOW INCONSISTENT is introduced to implement this.
- Support for execution of SQL commands from RMAN prompt without SQL prefix.
- Support for SQL*Plus command DESC from RMAN prompt.